Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Melancholia

When Haruki asked me if I had ever seen a Lars Von Trier movie, I said 'no.' When he asked if I wanted to see a Lars Von Trier movie, I said 'yes.' After watching Melancholia, I will forever change those answers around. Watching is really the wrong word. Experiencing. Yes, like brain aneurysm. 

I can appreciate Melancholia. I can be awed by it. I can be moved by it, but I can't like it. The entire movie isn't about depression. The entire movie is about making you feel how a depressed person feels. It doesn't want to you to become depressed. It wants you to understand what it means to be depressed, what it feels like, and to accept the futility of trying to make a depressed person happy.

The first part (Justine) is an outsider's view of someone depressed. The second part (Claire) is an insider's view of someone depressed. To make you see this, Lars Von Trier crashes another planet into Earth.The planet is depression -- inescapable and inevitable, overwhelming and obvious, desperate and doomed.

We can't change the whole world, but we can change our little part of it.

Melancholia IMDB


the difference between
melancholy happiness
is seen in line two 

No comments:

Post a Comment