Monday, March 3, 2014

Oscar Best Picture goes to best picture

For the first time since 2003 when The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King won best picture, the Oscars gave the Best Picture Oscar to the best movie of the year. 12 Years a Slave is a masterpiece. I would like to call it an American masterpiece since it is about America in so many ways, but it was made by a bunch of Brits, so I will leave out the extra adjective.

About 2 hours into the film, I was still undecided about whether it was better than Before Midnight. Then, it went to another level and nailed the ending perfectly. I was crying in my seat for joy and sorrow at the same time. It takes a unique movie to be able to do that.

I didn't think it would win. I figured there would be too many people not watching it, too many people thinking that Gravity or American Hustle would make a good enough Best Picture. I anticipated the same thing as last year (when Zero Dark Thirty should have won, or the not even nominated The Impossible) or 2010 (when The Social Network or Inception should have prevailed). But enough people voted for the movie that will be remembered.

I was wrong, but in this case, I am happy for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment